Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Mumbai local train – yoga (similar to Ashtanga yoga ;)



I had been out of touch with Mumbai and its local train journey during rush hours, for few years.  But fortunately I got a chance to do it once again recently.  I could not help compare it with Ashtanga yoga session I did recently with it.  In Ashtanga yoga, you take a yoga posture and maintain that pose for few seconds, and then change. 

After I pushed myself in and was pushed by people rushing in to the train, even though it seemed impossibly full of people, the local-yoga session started.  There is another thing – you don’t do these yogic postures on your own, but it’s a group thing – everyone does their own postures, but since everyone is so closely packed together, what others do affects you as well.  It goes like this –
There is a steel bar above, and steel hand holdings as well.   

But, as soon as I got in, the train started moving, but postures also began.  I was pushed ahead from waist above, and had only enough space to stand on my toes, and to maintain my balance, held on to the steel bar above.  On my sides, 2 people doing their pose, also press me from both sides.  After sometime, I realize I cannot hold that pose anymore… I gently and not so gently push around, and move my feet at the same time to change.  A more comfortable pose now, where my back is straight, and weight is on my feet.  But next railway station arrives, and a group of people leave the yoga session and jump out without any goodbyes, and another group jump in unceremoniously. 

Everyone’s pose change.  I am pushed to my left side, and my back on one side is pushes to a strange angle…  I try to straighten up, with help of my hands on the steel bar on top, and have to push with my fingers with all my might.  I realize new muscles based on my fingers and am pushing myself to the limit.  But am pushed beyond my limits and there is a feeling of relief as I realize some hidden strength from inside, and that I can keep on going for few more seconds than I ever thought possible.  I change my feet, and the man next to me also helps by changing his pose. I bend my knees and put my weight on feet again and push back my waist and relax my arms. 

Another station arrives.  This keep going on, and the station where I am supposed to get off is nearing.  I move towards the door and prepare for departure.  Near the door, there is more wind and it cools down my sweaty body a lot.  Just before the station arrives, vigorous push from inside by all those who want to get out makes me change my posture and I have to put all my strength into my hands to keep myself inside the train… the next crowded station appears in a blur of faces, and as soon as the train stops, we jump out of the yoga session.  I walk a few more steps, and then stand and look around at people rushing past.  After a half a minute calming down stance, I start my walk towards an apartment near the station. 

Another free Mumbai local yoga session is over. 

No comments: